- Jesus Calling, Enjoying Peace in His Presence, by Sarah Young, (Nashville: Thomas Nelson, 2004), 382 pp., hard $15.99
- A Shelter in the Time of Storm and Whiter Than Snow, By Paul David Tripp
- Against the Gods, The Polemical Theology of the Old Testament,by John D. Currid, (Wheaton: Crossway, 2013), 153 pp., paper $17.99
- Men Counseling Men, A Biblical Guide to the Major Issues Men Face, General Editor John D. Street (Eugene, Oregon: Harvest House, 2013), 442 pp., paper $19.99
- The King in His Beauty: A Biblical Theology of the Old and New Testaments, by Thomas R. Schreiner (Grand Rapids: Baker Academic, 2013), 714 pp., hard $44.99
Reviews RSS Feed
Reviews by Email
Receive email alerts when new reviews are added to our site.
The Pocket University by SeveralThe Pocket University, first published in 1923, is a collection of some of the finest pieces of literature in the English language. Within its first 22 volumes are 1380 masterpieces just waiting to teach, inspire and give us enjoyment. Volume 23, a classic in itself, emphasizes the joy of reading, and also includes a systematic reading schedule that would guide a reader through all 22 volumes in one year. The concept of The Pocket University is that if a person would devote 15-30 minutes per day reading the very best in literature they would have the equivalent of a liberal arts education (p. 81).
The opening words of Volume 23 are, “Here are three services which books may render in the home: They may be ornaments, tools or friends.” The Pocket University offers us an exceptional opportunity to make some friends.